I level Diploma MUSIC EDUCATION
Test 1 will check the candidate’s performance skills, while Test 2 will verify general musical and cultural knowledge.
Test 1 – Principal musical instrument (besides the different musical instruments, singing is also included in the generic caption Instrument)
1) Performance of three music pieces of different time periods and styles, chosen by the candidate, lasting at least 15 minutes overall. The level of the programme performed must not be lower than that requested by DM 381/18 for the admission to preparatory courses in different instrumental specialities.
2) Sight-reading (to be played on the principal musical instrument chosen) of a short music piece (maximum 16 bars) chosen by the commission.
3) Performance of scales and technical etudes.
NB – In the application form, candidates must specify the instrument for which they apply and on which they wish to perform Test 1, Principal Instrument (which, in case of enrolment, will be the one present in the core subject area), and present a written and signed programme, during the examination, in which authors, titles of the music pieces and approximate duration must be indicated.
The commission reserves the right to stop performances at any time.
Test 2 (Theory, rhythmics, music perception)
1) Sight-reading solfège, with syllables, on the treble clef. Difficulty level: complex rhythmics appropriate to the instrumental or vocal repertoire up until the 1900s.
2) Sight-reading solfège, with syllables, on the seven clefs. Medium difficulty
3) Sight-singing of a melodic solfège. Short modulations and transposition (one note up or down).
4) Music dictation of a short melody with accidentals.
5) General music theory questions.
N.B. candidates will be exempted from the latter test if awarderd with one of the following:
- TRPM (Theory, rhythmic, music perception) final certification of pre-college courses (Propedeutico) issued by Conservatorio Rossini;
- TRPM level A certification of preparatory courses (Preaccademico) issued by Conservatorio Rossini;
- TRPM level A certification of preparatory courses (Preaccademico) issued by one of Conservatorio Rossini’s certified partner schools;
- “Licenza di Solfeggio” (instrument specialization) certification of old-degree system (vecchio ordinamento) issued by any Italian recognized Institution;
- High school diploma issued by any Liceo Musicale recognized by Conservatorio Rossini. The exemption will be given for diplomas issued from a.a. 2020/2021 on to candidates that had passed an exam with a commission appointed by the Liceo and completed by Conservatorio Rossini’s Director or one of his/her delegates.
Test 2 (Piano practice)
1) Performance of two Etudes of difficulty not inferior to Czernyana 1 (from n. 25 on), Beyer (from n. 75 on), also chosen from other collections and methods of equal difficulty level.
2) Performance of two music pieces, one of which mandatorily by Bach or another Baroque composer.
NB – Candidates must present a written and signed programme, in which authors and titles of the music pieces are indicated. The commission reserves the right to stop performances at any time. Candidates will be exempted from piano practice test) if:
- they apply for a keyboard instrument (Piano, Organ, etc…) in Test 1
- they obtained the Piano Practice certification (level A), during the preparatory courses (Preaccademico) at the Rossini Conservatoire or at one of its affiliated schools
- they obtained the Score Reading certification (at least level A) during the preparatory courses, or the final exam certification during the preparatory courses at the Rossini Conservatoire
- they obtained the Complementary Piano certification or Score Reading certification (fourth year or over) during the old system degree (vecchio ordinamento), wherever obtained.
Test 2 (Theoretical/historical/musical culture)
1) The candidate must be able to recognize the basic harmonic and formal structure in a simple music piece chosen by the commission.
2) Sight-reading of a short vocal piece drawn from the didactic repertoire, chosen by the commission.
3) Oral presentation of two Music History topics chosen by the commission, referring to the Bibliography (see below).
Test 2 (Text comprehension skill)
Oral summary of a short text in Italian language, chosen by the commission.
General and motivational interview
Massimo Mila, Breve Storia della Musica, Einaudi, Torino
N.B. Piano di Studio in attesa di revisione.